Today, bananas are grown in at least 107 countries and are ranked fourth among the world’s food crops in monetary value. Americans consume more bananas than apples and oranges combined.
With the world consuming so many bananas, it’s not surprising that people are asking the question: are bananas good for you?
Bananas are fibre rich fruits with a number of health benefits. They are the fourth most popular food after rice, wheat and corn. With its high nutrient content, low price and easy availability it is the most ideal fruit to include in your daily diet. If you eat almost nothing and just bananas, you lose weight, but if you eat eight to ten bananas a day, apart from consuming regular meals, you can gain weight.
A nutritionist and a motivational coach tried the mono-fruit diet (One fruit diet for stipulated days) to test the health benefits of bananas. He calls it banana island diet.
WHAT DOES THE BANANA ISLAND ENTAIL?
- You eat all the bananas you desire and bananas are all you eat (you can also do it with other fruit). It is a mono island, however, occasionally; people also add 1 type of greens, such as lettuce in the last meal of the day.
- You eat ONLY ripe bananas, you eat your usual calories – no under-eating or calorie-restricting is involved.
- You drink plenty of water, up to 3 litres a day.
- You exercise as normal.
- You rest enough as your body will be going through deeper detox and restoration.
- Research shows that bananas can actually be a perfect fit in your weight loss diet plan. A six inch banana has about 90 calories, which makes it much lesser than the calories in any candy bar. Moreover, the fibre content in this fruit is soluble, which causes it to absorb water and slows down digestion.
HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED DURING HER BANANA ONLY DIET:
- Did not have any detox symptoms whatsoever, felt amazing throughout the whole “journey”.
- Experienced very sharp clarity of mind, which allowed her to restructure tasks and activities.
- She says it was a busy inner journey for her.
- She felt balanced and positive.
- Her skin became softer and shiny naturally.
- She ran 22km up and down a very steep mountain without any leg soreness.
- Body felt more flexible than ever.
Bananas have weight loss properties. A single banana has 108 calories, which amounts to 17.5 grams of carbohydrates. Our body needs carbohydrates for smooth body functioning and excess carbohydrates can lead to weight gain. Bananas are also loaded with fibre, vitamins and minerals. They also contains pectin, which leaves you feeling fuller for a longer time. This makes bananas ideal for any weight loss programme.
Bananas have a low glycemic index, which also helps in weight loss.
Eating bananas help in controlling increased blood sugar levels in the body.